- East side (entering 14A): renovation of existing Toll Utility Building continues.
- Toll Lane 3 & 4 reconstruction continues.
- During the weekend of 08/26 – 08/28/16, Toll Lanes 3 & 4 will reopen and Toll Lanes 5 & 6 will be closed to accommodate staged construction. Toll Lanes 5 & 6 are expected to be closed for 10 weeks. In support of the Toll Plaza work, northbound Avenue E will be temporarily reduced to a single lane between 52nd Street and the Toll Plaza to implement the change. This work will be supported by Bayonne Police.
- Widening construction continues on the ramps to and from the westbound HCE.
- Local street level work at Garfield, Avenue C and JFK Boulevard bridges continues. This work will also be supported by Jersey City and Bayonne Police as needed.
- Work continues on a VMS Sign Structure under the Turnpike Bridge over Route 440, near the Newark Bay. Access is being provided from Route 440.
- On 08/28/16, traffic will be shifted left on the ramp to westbound HCE to accommodate a new work zone on the right.
- New retaining wall and roadway construction on Avenue E near 53rd Street continues.
- Continue construction of new bridge deck. This work will be supported by Bayonne Police as needed.
- A two-way traffic pattern has been implemented on the bridge ramp from Port Jersey Boulevard to the Toll Plaza.
- Pedestrian usage of the bridge for access to and from Port Jersey Boulevard continues to be prohibited. Please CLICK HERE for shuttle bus pamphlet.
During the weekend of 09/10-09/11/16, NJ Transit Light Rail Service between 34th Street Station in Bayonne and Danforth Avenue Station in Jersey City will be maintained via NJ Transit bus service. During this period, new bridge beams will be erected over the NJ Transit and Conrail train tracks.
During the weekend of 08/26/16, northbound and southbound Route 440 will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction and the southbound Pulaski Street Jughandle will be closed, 7:00PM Friday through 4:00AM Monday, for bridge girder erection. In addition, overnight, Friday night and Saturday night, 10:00PM to 8:00AM, Route 440 will be detoured through the area. Bayonne and Jersey City Police will provide assistance as needed.
On Monday, 08/29/16, the southbound Route 440 Jughandle and entire length of Pulaski Street will be closed from 7:00PM to 4:00AM for milling and paving operations. Traffic will be detoured to Prospect Street/32nd Street U-turn and then onto the ramp to the Turnpike from northbound 440 or Harbor Drive. Police assistance will be provided to allow left turns onto Port Jersey Boulevard at the base of the ramp to access the port.
- The southbound Route 440 Jughandle at Pulaski Street has been reduced to a single lane and a median work zone has been established in Route 440.
- New bridge pier construction will continue.
- Ramp roadway construction will continue.
- New ramp construction continues.
- Retaining wall construction continues.
- Bridge abutment construction continues.