The following work is scheduled over the next three weeks:
- East side (entering 14A): renovation of existing Toll Utility Building will continue.
- Construction on the new east Toll Lane began this week.
- Individual (single) Toll Lanes will be closed nightly, 8:00PM to 5:00AM M-F, will continue through the week of 10/12/15.
- Eastbound 53rd Street will be closed at Avenue E (Toll Plaza) at midnight on 11/06/15. Access to local business will be maintained. Westbound 53rd Street from the Toll Plaza will not change. The Eastbound closure is expected to be in place for six (6) months. This is a major traffic change. CLICK HERE FOR PAMPHLET.
- Traffic from the Toll Plaza to Port Jersey Boulevard and Route 440 will be shifted left (east), onto the existing (one-way) bridge in a two-way pattern during the weekend of 11/06/15 – 11/08/15. This is a major traffic shift.
Ramps between the Toll Plaza and the Hudson County Extension (HCE)
- Widening construction continues on the ramps to and from the west bound HCE
- Retaining wall construction along Frontage Road continues. This work will be supported by Jersey City and Bayonne Police as needed.
- Local street level work at Garfield, Avenue C and JFK Boulevard bridges continues. This work will also be supported by Jersey City and Bayonne Police as needed.
- Proposed Sign Structure Locations adjacent to the corner of Avenue B / E58th Street Corner, corner of Avenue C Structure and Garfield Avenue Structure (PSE&G Sub-Station), Toll Plaza Parking Area will be constructed. When needed, Bayonne PD or Jersey City PD will be asked to support this effort.
- Work continues on a VMS Sign Structure under the Turnpike Bridge over Route 440, near the Newark Bay. Access is being provided from Route 440.
- Ramp from westbound HCE to Toll Plaza will be shifted onto new pavement and a new median work zone created the week of 10/26/15.
Avenue E / Proposed Roundabout
- Water main work on E52nd Street between Avenue E and Broadway and on Avenue E between E50th Street and E52nd Street will continue. Daily closures, 8:00AM to 3:30PM, of E52nd Street and detours of Avenue E are expected. This work will be supported by Bayonne Police.
- Deep foundation work on new bridge piers will continue. This work will be performed in dedicated work zones.
- Northbound Avenue E traffic will be shifted to a new alignment, east of the Connector Bridge, between E50th Street and the Toll Plaza. The new alignment will be in effect on or about 10/23/15. The left turn at 53rd Street will be removed. Traffic from Port Jersey Boulevard to the Turnpike will no longer be able to make a right turn onto the service road at 53rd Street. This is a major traffic shift. CLICK HERE FOR PAMPHLET.
Connector Bridge (Bridge from the Toll Plaza to Port Jersey Boulevard)
- A two-way traffic pattern will be implemented on the bridge ramp from Port Jersey Boulevard to the Toll Plaza beginning 11/09/15.
- Pedestrian usage of the bridge for access to and from Port Jersey Boulevard continues to be prohibited.
Route 440 and Pulaski Street Intersection / Jughandle
- The southbound Route 440 Jughandle at Pulaski Street has been reduced to a single lane. Deep sewer construction continues.
- Utility relocation work will continue on Pulaski Street at Route 440. This work will be supported by Bayonne and Jersey City Police.
Ramp Area East of Route 440
- Ground improvement work in advance of new ramp construction continues.